An integral part of a Maine Maritime Academy education is the practical knowledge that students gain by actual work experience.?The commercial experiences are facilitated through the Career Services Office. A major component of all MMA programs is learning by doing. Experiential learning, including co-op and internships, varies from major to major and may include:
- At-sea engineering and deck officer experience on training ships?and commercial vessels;
- Marine Biology?and Marine Science?cruises aboard research vessels;
- Vessel Operations and Technology ?/ Small Vessel Operations?training aboard the tug Pentagoet, the schooner Bowdoin, and work experience on commercial vessels;
- Power Engineering Technology?and Power Engineering Operations?training in operating plants that produce steam and generate electrical power;
- International Business and Logistics?experience in businesses, companies and logistics providers;
- Design engineering and naval architecture experience for Marine Systems Engineering?students.